Needled

A more representational view of this twig in the snow - I liked the bright green especially - so many shades in such tiny needles. It’s an 11-image stack with the camera on the Platypod which is really handy when I have my giant tripod that doesn’t get very low at all. Just move the ballhead from one to the other and down low I go.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I didn’t see any stacking artifacts or goofs, but if you see any let me know. How do you find the tight view? The angle. I did two different stacks and positions, but felt this was pretty strong.

Technical Details

Platypod right on the snow
Focus bracketing for 11 total. All used

Lr to get each photo ready for stacking - brightened whites, used calibration panel to boost blues which resulted in a terrific pop of color, some texture, sharpening and a crop. Zerene for the stack - this is a straight up PMax with no retouching. Lr for some work on the TIF to boost color and shadows.

3 Likes

Kris, I too like the different shades of green in the needles. I also like the rows of sorts that the needles are in. Getting down low makes this shot. I may need to consider getting one of these Playpods. Sounds like it was a real help in getting down low which is what made this shot. I can’t think of anything that would improve this shot. Well done.

Love this photo image, Kris. The color contrast is very nice and it is a sign spring not far away. The stacking paid off for sure. I have one of those plates. I use it all the time when getting low to the ground or just on the wall for a flower. They are a lot of fun to use.

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman & @Dean_Salman - the Platypod is very cool, but seeing as my RRS tripod goes down to a similar height, I usually don’t take it with me when I take that tripod. My big Manfrotto, on the other hand, has a center column and unless I swing it to the 90-degree position, it wont lower all the way to the ground. That’s when I bring the Platypod because I can easily move the ballhead back and forth. I also take it when I know I’m only going to do on the ground macro stuff - it’s very light and has a built-in cut out for carrying. My M4/3 rig is very light and so it’s freeing to be so unencumbered.

1 Like

Kris, you definitely are the master of small things partially covered in snow. This is really wonderful. And the focus stack is perfect. Awesome.

Thanks @David_Bostock - winter lasts forever up here so one really has to enjoy it to survive. Getting out to see the beauty of snow is a good way to cope. Did some experiments with my new extension tubes today, but it was only 10 degrees so just fooled around in the yard for a few minutes and then came in to warm up. I’d have needed handwarmers if I wanted to go for longer or anywhere else. Toewarmers, too!

1 Like