Nevada Fall

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Nevada Fall is where the Merced River flows from “Little Yosemite Valley” into “Yosemite Valley.” The big dome is “Liberty Cap,” and that’s Cloud’s Rest and Sunrise Mountain (I think) in the background. The day after I took this shot, this section of the John Muir Trail was closed because the massive snowmelt was undermining the cliff — a very sheer drop about 500 feet /150 m down to the river!

Technical Details

Sony a7, Tamron E 28-200 at 39mm, ISO 400, f/18. Almost all of this image was a 1/200 exposure, but the waterfall itself is lightly blended with a 4" exposure taken using a ND filter.

Stunning shot Dan.

I think you’ve done well balancing Liberty Cap, the falls and the mountains in the background. Its a busy scene but I like it.

1 Like

This image really shows the scale of Liberty Cap over the waterfall and the trees below. It is a balanced image given the portrait orientation and I like that the faded BG adds a sense of depth.
I do feel though that the top of Liberty Cap needs more breathing room so I suggest extending the sky a bit. There are also a few dust spots in the sky.
A bit of luck to capture this prior to the trail closing.

the top of Liberty Cap needs more breathing room

Yeah, the original crop was a little more generous, but because Liberty Cap leans a bit to the right it looked it was going to fall over onto Nevada Fall. Lately I’ve been taking more care on vertical lines in my composition.

There are also a few dust spots in the sky.

Hazards of an original a7! AFAIK there’s no way to close the shutter when removing the lens, so it gets really dirty really fast. I’m considering upgrading to an a7 III just so I don’t need to wet-clean the sensor twice a year.

Really nice shot. Shouldn’t be too hard to remove the dust spots and add a little canvas to the top. There is also a spot of cloud creeping in in the ULC which should be cloned out.
Are you still accompanied by the Hot Licks? Just kidding. Showing my age. There was a band in the sixties called Dan Hicks And His Hot Licks which combined folk, country, jazz and other numerous influences.