New beech leaves

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The interactions of leaves fascinate me. Imagine what it would be like it my task was to optimize energy capture! I also find new beech leaves, in particular, to be just so gorgeous and delicate. They don’t last long in this perfect state as many critters enjoy having them for lunch but I find this this trio, with the gentle light come through them and the shadowing as the leaves overlap to be a delight.

Specific Feedback

any and all

Technical Details

Pentax K100D, 1/500, f/9.5, ISO1600 at 260mm with minimal adjustments to tone curves.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

John,

• Vision and Purpose: Your stated vision is well demonstrated.
  • Emotional Impact and Mood: I am drawn into the image and the pristine beauty that it expresses.
  • Composition: The relationship of the overlapping leaves provides lines and changes in value that carry the eye through the composition. Very nice.
  • Balance and Visual Weight: The darker leaf is nicely balanced with the larger, bright leaf. I feel the bright background is distracting and is taking away from the subject.
  • Depth and Dimension: The out-of-focus background gives depth to the composition.
  • Color: This is a nice submission for the “green” challenge.
  • Lighting: A darker background would give the leaves more importance.

Very nice. Thanks for sharing with us.

I love this composition John. The various tones and luminosities of green are fabulous. The jagged edges contrast beautifully with the soft background too. There seems to be a tiny bit of noise in the background. You might toy with masks to give the leaves a bit more detail and reduce noise and maybe a bit of texture in the background. Such a lovely image all the way around!

Wow just wow! All those triangles! I could look at this and enjoy for a while…I also enjoy the contrast of the very soft bokeh of the background in contrast with the sharp leaf patterns. Nice sharpness on the leaf edges too. So very well done John. Wonderful to have subjects so accessible without having to go anywhere….

Thanks. I appreciate both suggestions and your enjoyment!