New River Gorge Creek

Going through some old images and found this nice fall foliage surrounded creek in the New River Gorge in West Virginia. Shot on a rainy day and it was pretty dark.

Brightened it up a bit but still seems to retain the feel of the place.

Nice flow of water and although the falls are very small I liked the way they are positioned and the water is high enough to make it interesting. Multiple smaller falls further up is icing on the cake.

Specific Feedback Requested

Looking for input on overall appeal but mostly white balance. Seems to have a green cast to it but not 100% sure after looking at it for several days. I pulled the green back a bit.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D700 and Nikon 24-120. ISO 200, F16, 1.3 second exposure. Shot on a tripod

The WB looks good to my eyes. This is a very pretty scene with much to like about it. My one comment has to do with the orange bush on the left. It’s the most colorful thing in the image so I would not put it on the edge of the frame, half in and half out.

It might have a slight green cast but it doesn’t bother me. With all the green trees you’re going to have some reflected light bouncing around. @Igor_Doncov has a point about the bush but again doesn’t really bother me. Don’t know the location so don’t know what your compositional alternatives were. I am more concerned about the light trunk in the BG. To me it seems a little jarring. Don’t know your feelings about removing things from an image but I think it looks better without it. Really like your choice of SS and processing.

1 Like

Lovely scene. I tend to agree with Igor regarding the orange tree. You might crop it out or try to darken it down or even slightly desaturate/shift the color. Alternatively, you could probably clone it out or do a content aware fill in Ps if your okay with making a change like that. Very nicely composed otherwise.

Lovely waterfall, with a composition that really shows it off. I agree with both @Michael_Lowe’s first thoughts. It would be nice to have the entire left edge tree, but it doesn’t bug me too much. I also agree there’s room to drop the green cast a bit more; that would make the reds pop a bit more as well.

This is a neat little waterfall. I like how your shutter speed got long streamers in the water, it’s very cohesive with how the shoreline rocks are arranged. I agree with @Michael_Lowe comments, cloning away that tree removes a potential distraction, and focuses the viewers attention on the falls. There is a very, very slight green cast, which doesn’t bother me at all. The way to tell for sure about overall color casts is to use the color picker in Photoshop and sample neutral colors like the whites in the water, or shadows that are near black. If each of the three RGB values are almost the same, you don’t have an overall color cast. The whites here look pretty pure, when I sampled them I got R 243, G 245, B242 (pure white is 256/256/256), so you have a very slight green cast.

I never heard of that trick in PS to determine color cast. I appreciate you sharing that.

All the replies have been helpful.