New to npn and critiques

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Composition and post processing

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Open to anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username @12odleiva_photography
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Rod:

Welcome to NPN. You’ll find this to be a great place for learning and honest constructive comments on improving you images.

This is a very nice scene. I like the leading line formed by the edge of the water pulling me into the frame. Glad there was a bit of separation in the foreground sea weed.

There are a couple of things I’d look at. The image is tilted to the right. Look at the water line on the left side of the frame and it is definitely tilted. A little CCW rotation can solve that in post. I’m also seeing a bit of haloing around the rock formations. Don’t know what work you did on the image but guessing there was probably some work to darken the sky a bit?

Thanks for posting and looking forward to your participation on NPN.

2 Likes

Welcome aboard, Rod. Real nice first post. I would agree with Keith on his suggestions, but otherwise looks real good. Nice depth and leading lines takes me nicely from front to back. Looking forward to seeing more of your work and reading your comments.

1 Like

Nice Rod! Welcome to the community.

Was this shot in Tasmania?

As well as straightening the image which has been mentioned I would enhance the colourful light which is reflecting in the foreground water. I personally would clone out the person as I prefer scenes without humans - although that’s highly subjective.

1 Like

Welcome aboard, Rod. I love seeing all the new members posting their first NPN posts today! This is a beautiful first post.

I agree with Keith & Harley on their findings, especially the tilt. I really like the lower perspective here and the fine use of the seagrass in your FG. I also think the orangish color in the clouds connects well with the same coloration in the seagrass. I also like the diagonal foam line leading into the rocks from the left corner. Is that a person on the rocks or just a weird shaped rock? Either way, I might consider cloning that out as it really draws attention to itself. This may just be me since Keith & Harley didn’t mention it (and I do run a slightly darkish monitor @ 100 cd/m2), but the seagrass and the shadows seem a bit blocked on my monitor. Like I say, that might just be my monitor unless someone else mentions it as well.

Again, welcome, and I can’t wait to enjoy more of your images!

1 Like

Thank you so much Keith, this has already proven to be so worth while (critiques).
I remember using the leveler on my camera on the day but I guess being in tunnel vision mode when editing, completely missed it.
As for the haloing, I did blend the sky in as I shot to exposures. Again thank you as I will be keeping this things in mind when working on my next image.

Thank you very much Harley

Thank you Nathan, this was taken at Wilson’s promatry in Victoria. I agree with the colour in the water, I will enhance it a little more.
It is a person standing on the rocks but I think I captured it just they were walking away. I will remove them.

Thank you very much Bill, I can’t believe I missed the tilt of sky line, I was so focused on other things that I completely didn’t see it. It is a person but as they are barely visible I will remove them and keep an eye on the Black’s of the shadows.
Thank you again for your input as I really want to progress on my photography and especially the PP.

Rod,

Welcome to NPN! Great to have you here and what a lovely first post. As Keith alluded, we try and be constructive in the critiques. We’re all here to learn and really there are no right or wrongs, just different opinions and suggestions.

I like the composition here and as mentioned, the water line makes for a nice lead-in and a way to connect the foreground seaweed with the boulders and pretty sky.

Aside from the already mentioned and acknowledged tilt, the only suggestion I have really is a catch-22 one. I’m kinda wishing for a little more shadow detail in the LL seaweed and perhaps the hill on the right above the rocks. Also a tad more luminosity in those boulders - the left rocks seem darker than the ones on the right? The catch-22? given the time of day and that the sun has set (or yet to rise) the light and shadows are actually appropriate - we expect things to be darker when the source of light is behind… So it’s a tricky call when deciding how much shadow detail is appropriate.

We’ll be looking forward to more images and your participation in the galleries and forums. Welcome aboard!

Lon

1 Like