New Toy

I just got the newish Sony 200-600 mm lens to go with the second hand A6500 I picked up last year. I’m just getting into it, but I’m pretty impressed thus far. It has by far the quietest focus and image stabilization of any lens I own and seems to be plenty sharp. This morning is the first time I’ve taken it out to my blind and while I didn’t have too many birds, I did manage enough shots to show me that it’s capable of taking fine images. This Mourning Dove gave me the best shots thus far.

Unfortunately, the deer like the dove mix as much as the birds do:

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. I didn’t do a lot of processing to this image. Just cleaned up some extra grass stems and removed some debris from the log. I used the default micro-contrast enhancement in Topaz Detail 3 to bring out feather texture a bit more.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Sony A6500, FE200-600 mm lens @ 600 mm, Hand held with arms braced on a shelf inside the blind window (tripod mount foot is awaiting pickup tomorrow), f/8, 1/1000, iso 800, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Full frame. Taken today at 10:09 am under slightly hazy skies.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Nice detail in the dove. I like the perch; nice colors and patterns. Looking forward to more of you work with the new gear as I’m looking at Sony mirrorless and will be interested in your experience.