Nido del Cóndor

I was going to share this image in the gallery but decide to do it here so you can comment and critique freely. Any comments are welcome. I’m happy with the image overall but there might be thing I’m not seeing.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Single exposure. 2-stop soft grad ND. Color correction in LR and added contrast and sharpness in PS. Plus some clone stamping for distractions removal.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@jose_f_c

Re-edit:

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Jose, you certainly had some spectacular conditions for this shoot. I really like the way you have arranged the diagonal ridge lines in the foreground, and the way you have centered the pink cloud. This is very subjective, but for me the square aspect ratio makes this composition feel somewhat cramped. You have a lot of wonderful horizontal elements here between the mountains and clouds, and I think a 3:2 aspect ratio might have worked better, and put more emphasis on those horizontal elements. I wasn’t there but my comment assumes the comp could have shown more to both the left and right without introducing distractions. The image also feels a little cool to me, I might reduce cyan a little more.

1 Like

Jose,

Great to see you post here. This is quite the wonderful mountain/alpine landscape image; a grand view indeed.

I can see and understand Ed’s comments about the square format, but for me, I think the square format works well here with nice balance between the elements. I am finding the opposing foreground ridges to be ever so slightly impeding; by that I mean by somewhat blocking the grand vista. But that’s being picky.

You’ve done well with the processing, colors and sat look natural. The only suggestion I have might be to bump up the contrast in the mountain range ever so slightly.

Otherwise, this is quite the beautiful and enjoyable mountain scenic.

Lon

I love this view Jose! I think it is great as is, but played around with some variations to give food for thought. For example, cropping a bit off the foreground, vignetting slightly, increasing contrast in the distance, bumping sat a little, etc. You are welcome to ignore, but it was fun to play:

2 Likes

A great scene with a wonderful subject and color. The foreground, however doesn’t add much to the image. I am left wondering if there is a different view from atop the knoll on the left side. The clouds are definitely my favorite part of the image.

1 Like

Wow what a view, Jose. I like the way the hillsides funnel the eye up toward the body of water and the impressive mountains in the BG; all topped off with those beautiful warmly lit clouds. It doesn’t get much better than this. I do think that @John_Williams rework elevated this image another notch.

1 Like

Thanks all for your suggestions, they are really appreciated.

@Ed_McGuirk
The crop is a 4x5 and when I published the photo (and still) was debating about the crop. I re-attached the newer version (applying some of the suggestion given) in the original crop (3x2). I added a bit of warmth in the morning but not to much because my intent was to represent the time of the day. This was the very first light in the morning and wanted to convey that feeling of the warmth sunlight heating the peaks while the valley bellow is still dark and cold.

@Lon_Overacker I’m still debating which should be the proper crop. I choose the 4x5 mostly for the same reason that you stated but also see what Ed said. Need to make up my mind regarding this :joy:
Also increased the contrast a bit in the background mountains, this suggestion was really helpful.

@John_Williams I like your crop suggestion and might go that way in my final version, still debating that.

@Wade_Thorson yes, there’s a view from the top of the knoll on the left but from there you get the lake occupying the whole lower left corner of the image and it looks unbalance. From this view point the hills frame the lake in the center that intern point towards the background mountains.

Jose, aspect ratio is often a matter of personal taste, and I’ll admit that i’m biased towards 3:2. but with horizontal oriented subjects like these mountains I think it is more effective. I like your 3:2 rework, especially the extension on the left side, it picks up some nice clouds to the left of the mountain. I also like your processing of this rework, going warmer helps, especially in the foreground.

1 Like

that’s some sweet light you caught here @Jose_A_Feliciano! also - respect for going the extra mile (or two) to get to a lesser known view of the peaks!

i really like how you processed this shot. it looks soo natural. and while initially i was going to propose a bit more contrast and saturation - a comparison with @John_Williams’ edit shows that this image maybe doesn’t need it. of course that’s a matter of taste and style (and probably the rest of the portfolio).

i’m a bit torn on the comp. something in me wants the lake to be more centered (i know - you’d need a helicopter for that) and i guess no matter how you crop here, there will always be some tension (at least to my eyes and brain). between the two versions i prefer the 3x2 (i also prefer the warmer shadows here). maybe a slight crop from the left (to center the mountains in the frame)?!

cheers
joerg

1 Like