Night Flying Squirrel

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any/All

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any/All

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

I was lucky to capture this Flying Squirrel (that I never knew were around here till a friend told me about seeing them at his place). When one showed up, he hit it with a flashlight and I quickly managed to get a focus lock on it lit then shot it with a flash. If only I could actually get an action/flying shot. D500, Nikon 2-500 lens, 1/250th, f/8.0, ISO 400, 200mm, cropped to 991 x 1200, hand held w/flash, treated in Topaz AI Clear “auto”, then Topaz ReMask 5 to tweak some background elements.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Great catch of an elusive critter!
But that eye has got to go - :grin:
PS has a red-eye removal tool, or you can do it manually with great care so it doesn’t become flat.
Sandy

Call me a weirdo but, after taking a long look at this shot, I decided that I like the reflective eye because it emphasizes their huge, nocturnal eyes. I could have done a rob from another shot I got of it that had its eye only having a glint. That was my process. On purpose eye look.

Nice to catch the squirrel in habitat. I like that. My first reaction to the image was the eye. I read your comment about the huge, nocturnal eye. Yep, but it is nocturnal so the flash in the eye ruins that feeling for me. Flash is also very heavy on the entire image. It just looks flashed. A flash compensation of -2 or -3 at least would make it feel much more natural.

Except for the eye a very interesting image of a flying squirrel at night. Maybe you could tone down the eye a bit and still retain the “nocturnal” setting.