Nighthawk

Image Description

Discovered atop a bed of pine needles, alongside a mountain trail in Southern California, the body of a fallen Nighthawk had been completely hollowed out by ants and dried to odorless, mummified perfection in the arid climate. It was oddly thrilling to touch and examine this bird’s wonderfully soft feathers; see the distinctive, blunt face and wide bill, with the insect-detecting hairs surrounding it. Surprising to find the weightless husk of a bird’s body in such good condition, and see up close why the Nighthawk is almost impossible to detect when camouflaged against pine bark. Normally, one only sees this bird as a fleeting silhouette at dusk. I photographed it on the ground, then took it home and shot it also in a light tent against black.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

This goal is to share detail and texture while also trying to show the actual Nighthawk, which is distorted in death. I have other shots which show only the feathers up close. This is shot from above. Shot from underneath, the feet are visible. Ideas for how I might best have shot or edited this opportunity are appreciated.

Technical Details

Olympus EM1 Mark II, 8/10ths of a second, ISO200, F11, tripod.

What a find! I would have taken it home, too!!

I think a different lighting would be a good idea here – maybe place it on a large rock (to make a subdued but natural-looking BG) with open shade from one side to try to let the 3D shape come through. Probably a good subject for focus stacking, although maybe not completely covering the depth.

James, the textures in the feathers stand out very well here. While it’s somewhat recognizable, it takes some viewing time, which is good. The black background makes this an intriguing abstract. BTW possessing the feathers of North American native birds that are not hunted is against federal law (North American Migratory Bird Act).

Thanks Mark.

Thanks Diane. Yes, should have photo stacked it.

What a cool find James and, even in death, the bird is striking for its coloration. Lighting is good and he stands out well against the black BG. I’m enjoying all the detail in the enlarged image, but if more is desired I guess stacking would be the answer. I just read a story about a bald eagle that died here in CT due to rodenticide poisoning , so I certainly hope that’s not the case here.

Thanks Jim. I did finally part with the beautiful night bird, as I thought keeping it was a bit peculiar (and illegal, as it turns out, according to another NPN response). I should have kept the shots I took at the location where I found it undisturbed.
I confess that I enjoy finding and shooting expired birds, particularly at the seashore, because I can see them up close. One can usually count on finding them at Point Reyes National Seashore, where I go whenever I can. They make interesting nature compositions, telling a part of nature’s story, as the attached shows.
Good shooting to you!