No Meal Too Big

All comments welcome!

This image taken in Orange Beach, Alabama. Please give me your thoughts!

Thanks,
Jim

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Jim,

This is such a great catch. I could wish for a softer light but you catch this with a perfect sun angle that there is not a lot of heavy shadow areas that often times detract from the image. The pose, the prey, and the action is superb. I would suggest looking at the brightest white a little more, Jim (e.g., the crown area). Pulling it back a little bit on those hotter whites are going to do a lot to the image. Also, I noticed something funky in the OOF background on the UR corner area. It looks like a few rectangles there. Are those artifacts from cloning?

Adhika, does this look any better to you?

Thanks MUCH for your observation!!!

Jim

Great catch! The repost, with Adhika’s suggestions is a big improvement to an already-good image.
well done!
Sandy

Thanks Sandy and Adhika! You both helped my day improve…lol.

Jim

Jim, you’re really posting some excellent images! :clap:
Sandy

Very good, Jim. Detail in the Heron is excellent and I like the pose and fish. It looks as if the whites on the fish’s belly might be blown, but that’s pretty minor for a shot like this.

Thank you Sandy that was kind of you to say.

Glad you like it Dennis. I have a few more pics of this guy as it gets the fish down it’s throat. Interesting to see. Thanks again.

Very nice action capture! Always love seeing behavioral shots like this. As Dennis mentions, the whites on the fish look hot but this is still a fine image.

Hi Jim,

You caught this guy doing well at nature’s buffet table (LOL). The repost is much better. Visit and read over John Shaw’s writings on exposure and ETTR at http://www.johnshawphoto.com/category/exposure/ and you may find some of his suggestions useful. A very nice catch indeed–Well done…Jim