Great Blue Day at the Beach

While in Pensacola FL for business I had a day to relax on the beach. The Herons will get extremely close to the fisherman waiting for a free meal. While I was not fishing, I took advantage as this Heron apparently thought the wife and I had some treats. The amazing bird stuck around approximately 10-15 feet away for quite some time allowing me to capture several photographs.

Specific Feedback Requested

Upon looking at the image today I wish I had a little lower approach with the lens. Maybe capturing the horizon. However, the sky may have been featureless and that could have detracted. Thoughts?

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII, Tamron 28-200 mm F2.8-5.6 Di III RXD A 071 shot at @100MM F5.6 1/1000 Sec.
Processed in LRC.

2 Likes

Hello,
I think the great part of this photo is that you are at eye level and the head is framed by the deep blue of the water. The stripe at the top (sandbar/wave?) would not be as nice of a background and may be too distracting if you got lower to show the sky. I love how the colours of the sea and the sand match the bird.

You have a technically fine image. Details, exposure, etc . all look good.

I find the image far too tight in the frame and the fact that the heron is centered left to right creates a static composition. At a minimum more room on the right to allow a virtual view of what the heron is looking at would add to the image.

Thank you for the feedback

Keith, Solid points and I’ll strive to address these points in the future. Thanks!!

1 Like

Just chiming in to say I like the perspective - getting low on the same level is so important for maximum engagement. Sometimes tough on the knees, but important!

1 Like

Really like the close-up, eye level look you captured. Excellent detail and nice pose. I wonder if brightening the heron would make it pop more against the background.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll give that a shot when I get a chance!!

I like the background you ended up with, John. I don’t think the sky would have worked unless you were able to get really close and shoot up at the bird which would be a totally different look (but might be cool). I agree with giving the heron a bit more room on the right. If you had the whole shadow, that might make a neat composition as well, depending on how tracked up the beach was in that direction.

1 Like