Non Breeding Ring Billed Gull

In general, my experience has been that many viewers have less than positive connotations about seagulls of any species. Yes they are not very exciting for the most part. However, they fly fast, are unpredictable in their flight patterns, and the white plumage is very difficult to tease out so that detail is visible. I find that most of the time their flight patterns and wing positions are not real exciting. That said, they make great practice for birds in flight. I like the wing position in this one which is diving.

What technical feedback would you like if any? This probably could have used 1/2500 or 3200 thing it would’ve been a lot sharper. The bird was diving quite fast and it was fairly close to the camera.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso-320, 400 mm F5 .6, 2000th, A7r4, handheld

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

A very interesting underside view. The head looks sharp and the softness is most likely a DOF issue. I don’t think it is objectionable as it could easily be seen as wingtip movement. Very nice detail in the whites, and a lovely BG. The shadows are not objectionable to me as there is plenty of detail in them.

Hi David
You are right about seagulls, but this photograph puts this one back in the conversation. This shot of the gull diving makes for a vary interesting photo. The stop acton, coloring and detial are great. Is he missing a leg? Nice work.
Pe ter

You’re exactly right about seagulls. They’ll give you some amazing poses if one is willing to shoot them. I love the pose here, and that green water is very nice. But I do think critical focus fell on the bird’s left wing, leaving the head and body just a hair outside the sharpest zone of focus. Curious whether you have any additional frames from this sequence.