Northern Pintail

Hi All,

Been a long time. But there’s a pretty good reason for it–my wife and I moved across the country. We’re settled now, so I thought I’d rejoin and start posting. I should also add that the ever diligent @Allen_Sparks has been urging me to come back. So, blame him! Anyway, on to the photo.

Shot this northern pintail at a local state park. The pintails there can be skittish, as they were on this morning. They were feeding beyond some brush and out of photographic range, so I waited for about 1.5 hours for one to swim by into this little gap. Finally, and luckily, one obliged.

Techs:

D850
500 f/4 ii with 1.4x TC, handheld
1/2500
f/7.1
ISO 800

All feedback welcome.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Welcome back, Lyle. I like the detail in the Pintail and the low angle does some great things to the foreground water. I don’t recall whether or not you’re into doing background clean-up, but there are a couple of brighter out of focus reeds back there that keep trying to catch my eye.

A lovely image.

Good coming-back-image ! I find Pintails extremely hard to approach, and this one is great. The highlights in the neck seem slightly blown, but it’s hard in this light I assume. Fine image all in all ! Cheers, Hans

Nice image Lyle with fine color tones and low shooting perspective. I like the background too giving a sense of place. The whites are really bright on the bird - I’d try curves or shadows/highlights to tone them down some more. Fine image and welcome back!

Excellent detail and nice low POV. I could see a bit more room for the duck to swim into.