Northern Pintail

Shot at a local park this winter. One of the 2-3 good opportunities I had with pintails this year. Every now and then, they’d decide that they were fine with you and allow some shots. Not much light for this one, but at least he was close.

Techs:
D850
700mm
1/500, handheld
g/6.3
ISO 800

All C&C welcome.

A lovely shot of the pintail. I really like the nice low angle. Photo is nice and sharp, well exposed and has lots of complimentary bg colors. I might try a bit of a crop on left or add a bit more to right hand side of photo to move bird’s eye left of center if possible. Good to see all of the reflection also.

Shoot. I meant to crop in a bit from the left before saving the file! I agree with you. Should never process in a hurry!

It happens. :grinning:

Very nice, Lyle. Excellent detail and a very nice pose. While you could pare a touch off the left, I find the current comp quite pleasant.

Feels as if you’re in the water with the duck. Nice head turn and good detail. I’m good with the comp; my sense is that the duck is moving towards the right lower corner and there’s enough room. The background complements the ducks colors. Nice.

Nice capture Lyle. I like how the duck is angled toward us with a good look at the head and eye. Also like the wet head and water drops. Image quality looks good. Nice frame.

Hi Lyle
The framing works for me. Every thing in the shot bring my eye to the Pintails eye. The water droplets and it’s rings are allowed expand nicely to the right.
Nice work.
Peter