Now, I've got to do it again!

This was taken on the trail above Deer Creek Falls at mile 137 on the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon. I’m not sure the picture does justice to the experience. The trail was narrow, you had to move sideways, and hang on to rocks under the overhang. Waaaay below was Deer Creek in a slot canyon. This was my only time on the trip I felt out of my comfort zone. The trail took us to a nice oasis with trees , pools, and small water falls. It was hard to enjoy, however, thinking about the hike back down the trail.

Specific Feedback Requested: Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Olympus TG-6 ; 1/100 f3.2; 50 mm equivalent, ISO 100

Deer Creek is certainly one of the top hikes on a Colorado river trip. I hope you looked at the underside of the overhanging ledge and saw all the tracks and trails left by burrowing organisms. That could have been another image for the weekly challenge. :slight_smile:

Allen, I did a vaguely similar hike in a slot canyon off the Upper Missouri Breaks, but there was no water at the bottom and no oasis at the end…it just got too steep and narrow to continue. the trail “platforms” look pretty well worn and it does seem like a long way down.

1 Like