Nuthatch Liftoff

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I have gotten lots of red-breasted nuthatch captures but I rarely get one inflight. I was shooting this guy perched here and I got lucky getting it right at its takeoff moment. Yay!

Specific Feedback

Cropping?

Technical Details

Z9, Nikon 200-500 lens, monopod, 1/1600th, f 8.0, 720mm, ISO 900, Photo AI, cropped to 2277 x 2501

1 Like

Good catch, Dave. It’s tough to catch small birds on take-off. I can see the motion blur, particularly in the larger image. these little guys need about 1/3000 or faster, I think, to really stop the motion (not sure, but I know 1/2000 isn’t enough for a chickadee!) . I love the background in this one an the wing position is awesome.

Hi Dave, nice take off pose you captured. I agree with Dennis on the shutter speed and resulting motion blur. One of my favorite species - only seen down here in winter.

I see you guy’s point but I like the motion blur. It contributes to just how fast these little guys are. If the body was blurry that’d be another thing.

Wonderful capture with a great BG. There is motion blur in the body, but it’s direction is somewhat hidden in the direction of the feathers. You can see the amount in the elongated catchlight. I do like the blur in the wings. But you’re forgiven for not anticipating this great opportunity.

Dave, I like the wing blur you caught. These kinds of images that really convey the sense motion are right up my alley! The soft bright blue background is beautiful, and you caught this perfect moment of lift-off. Nice!