White Bellied Nuthatch Take-Off

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Used gusian blur on BG, Canon 5ds-r , 100x400x1.4 lens at f-8, 1/500 sec, and iso 800. This Nuthatch is very quick and usually does not stay in one location beyond seconds, even when feeding. Would have preferred better detail but what the hey. Notice tail fathers facing the camera.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Wow! Incredible stop-action and DOF! The bird is so spectacular I would blur the BG even more, and tone down the greens a bit.

That is lovely fine feather detail in the tail and body of the nuthatch. And good for you to be fast on the shutter. Tough shot.

Repost increased guassian blur. Thanks Diane and David.

This is a wonderful, textbook quality, shot of the White-breasted Nuthatch in flight. Good job on the repost.

Great catch, Wayne. I like the background in the repost-much subdued. Detail in the Nuthatch is very good and the spread tail is awesome.

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. I try to keep , in mind, all the suggestions and comments when doing my photography. Thanks again.
Wayne

Hi Wayne,

I like how you provided more blur in the BG of your repost. feather detail is excellent…Jim

Thanks Jim, this bird is so small and lands very briefly, then immediately jumps from one perch to the other.
Wayne

I am astounded at how well you froze its movement at 1/500th. That bokeh treatment really enhanced this fine subject. Big thumbs up from me. Speaking of thumbs, you ever notice how big these guy’s thumbnails are? All the better for walking around upside-down like they tend to do a lot,