Nutria

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I think this is a nutria as it seemed rather large for a muskrat. We found this guy swimming in our direction in a small pond at a local park recently.

Specific Feedback

Any

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III
ISO 1600, f6.3, 1/1600s, hand held

Whatever it is, it’s a wonderful capture! The reflection is perfect!

1 Like

It looks like a nutria Allen. They are non-native giant muskrats that tear up levee systems and displace other native species. I think someone brought them into Louisiana a few decades ago and now they are taking over range on their own. Fish and wildlife has been trying to get rid of them in various places.
All that said, this is a great image of one. Nice catch light and great clarity here.

1 Like

Beautifully captured and I love the reflection.
May darken the blues a touch.

1 Like

Congratulations on the EP – I just noticed it! Well deserved, even if the subject itself is a less than desirable part of the local ecosystem! That reflection is amazing!!

1 Like

Great image of an “invasive species” here in the US. I’ve heard that they are a delicacy in some South America countries. :thinking:

1 Like

I love this photo… I have a similar one from a pond here. I will share later… One thing I remember when I was taking the photo, a small boy walked by and asked if that was a mermaid. :slight_smile: Love how you caught this guying your photo