Nutria in Anahuac NWR

Driving on the wildlife drive in Anahuac NWR I spotted just the rump of this guy resting on the reeds. What the ??? When I stopped he raised up his head so I could tell what he is. According to USDA, this species is considered invasive. It was imported in the late 1800s for its fur. I’ve seen these before but they’ve always been surrounded by a lot of vegetation. This is the first time I’ve had clear shot at one.

Specific Feedback Requested

Always open to any feedback but I have no specific concerns.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Tamron 150-600 at 600mm, handheld. SS 1000, f6.3, ISO 800. processed in Lightroom.

We get these in Korea too (I saw a young albino recently). You’ve caught its wet fur, and the environment, beautifully. My only suggestion would be to crop a little along the bottom so the animal is a bit larger in the frame.

1 Like

I thin k the crop is fine and shows their environment well. At one point in time Ridgefield NWR had hundreds of these and they would have Nutria Hunting Days, inviting hunters to eliminate them. It must have worked because I haven’t seen any in my last few trips.

1 Like

Thank you both for your comments. I always appreciate different points of view.

I just noticed the weekly theme is invasives. Guess I could have posted this there. :slight_smile: