Nuttall's Woodpecker

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was doing some yard work and this guy showed drumming n the Eucalyptus tree again and after both seeing each other for a few days he perhaps was accustomed to me raking the gravel. I hoped he might spend a few minutes at his hammer post and I went fetched the camera and the 200-500 lens. I was able to try a few angles from about 40-50 feet. I enjoyed the subtle posture difference s he would have after the drumming sequences. Looking for a mate I think?

Specific Feedback

Did not now what to do about the sky so i tried various hues and some vignetting to give it a less boring look, but the clear background worked for the birds markings. Used Lr for processing and Ps to remove an oof heavy branch along the edge.

Technical Details

Nikon Z5 with Nikkor 200-500 mm lens, 1/2500 s @f8 ISO 400, handheld

Given the size of the perch, the clear sky works fine, Stephen. I prefer the second image of the three because of the direct eye contact and that the vertical composition made the main trunk less prominent in the frame. It’s kind of overpowering in the first and third images for my taste. Excellent detail and exposure and a good job on the red cap.

Stephen, all three are great shots. You did well with the sky. I actually got caught up in the detail of the eucalyptus trunk, and I guess I understand what Dennis means by overpowering, but it really has great detail and color too. The third is my favorite of these.

@Dennis_Plank @Ed_Williams Thanks for the comments and the input on the trunk, Maybe go with vertical on the other two as well. I like the squinty hunched look of #1.

Hi Stephen, nice catch of this interesting woodpecker. Love the feather patterns and red patch. The second image is my favorite - seems like a more engaging pose to the viewer and less daunting perch.

Really nice look in all images of the woodpecker. Good detail and poses. I like the third best for the pose which seems to give the best overall view of the woodpecker. The second one does subdue the large perch.

@Allen_Brooks @Allen_Sparks , Thanks for your comments I redid the 1st and 3rd images with a change to a vertical format to minimize the Euc trunk and keep the emphasis on the bird and the nice feather patterns. I appreciate the input. The change provides a better balance to the images.