Ocean City

I have been wanting to work on a B&W of a previously posted color version of this photo.

Specific Feedback Requested

Processing

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
70mm f/11 9.0 sec iso 250

Nice, Mario. I like the feeling of a long exposure…I was surprised it’s only 9 seconds. I think B&W gives it a great mood. Well done.

1 Like

I love the brooding drama here. The dark gradient toward the top of the sky is a large part of that, but there is some posterization. Sometimes it’s hard to avoid, but will be minimized if you darken in the raw file.

My only suggestion is that there is a dust bunny above the UR point of thirds.

I think that this is an image which translates very nicely to B&W. I really like the luminosity of the water highlights in the left half of the image, it just pops out out of the surrounding dark tones. I could perhaps see some slight dodging of the lighter tones in the water in the LRC too, not much, just a hint more.

I like the concept of a light dark gradient as you move from the horizon up into the sky. But I think the vignetting in the upper two corners is a bit too strong for my taste, and would suggest backing off that a bit.

Often I find that, while the colour might be very beautiful, the drama comes through in B&W. That is certainly the case with this image. The light and dark combined with the powerful diagonals make for a compelling image. Beautifully seen and finished in post.

I think there’s a lot of potential in this type of photography. I really the mystery in the land and water. But I think I would shoot under different conditions in the sky. I would look for fewer clouds and really stretch them with the shutter speed. Of course I have no experience with this sort of thing so it’s all theory. Monday night quarterbacking.

@Diane_Miller thank you for the suggestion. I did darken and reduce clarity to reduce the posterization. I think it worked.

Thank you all @Ed_McGuirk @Igor_Doncov @David_Bostock @Kerry_Gordon for your comments and suggestions.

I think it worked, too! Lovely image!