Ocean Fire

Taken a few days ago when the sun rose over the misty sea. I’m trying to go for a layered look and I’m wondering if this is apparent & if it draws the eye up through the foreground to the sun.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

How’s the composition look, is there anything off and how is the colour?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

got for it

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
two shots blended together (just two at the same focal distance but one had a foreground with a wave breaking) in photoshop with adjustments in camera raw

This is a beautiful sunset photo Dale. Yes, IMO, you’ve captured the layered effect very nicely and the mist helps draw my eyes through the image. Nicely done.

1 Like

@Dale_Jantzen… I LOVE this. It has a great feeling and backlight is one of my favorites! The layering and composition are great, but if it were mine I would pull back on the color a little. To me, one of the tastiest things in this photo is the backlight and I think there’s some room to play that up a little and I think that the really strong color and saturation take away from that backlight because it’s SO orange.

So what I would do is pull back the white balance in raw (maybe even saturation, too… hard to tell without having the raw file) and then use luminosity masking to target the backlight and give it some more impact. You can probably brush in some texture with an adjustment brush in raw as well to help give that mist a touch more life. You can even touch up the highlights in the clouds to help sell the layers up there a little more, too.

Here’s a SUPER quick mockup on the jpg. It would look a lot better done in raw obviously.

If you want to take a peek at what I did you can see the layers here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5q8fnr7lwvwex8z/fire%20over%20the%20ocean.psd?dl=0

1 Like

What a splendid creation… not just by Nature, but by you. The layered depth is incredibly successful.
I like @TJ_Thorne work to bring up backight on the waves, but I would keep the sun as you have it.
Well done, mate

1 Like

This is very nice! The repeated horizontal lines in the waves pull my eye into the scene. That golden light is marvelous! I like the tonal range throughout the scene. I’m not sure if you added a vignette or if it is natural because of how the mist is in front of the sun. Either way, it works nicely.