Ode to Turner

Revision

Original

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Despite the title I’ve given it, this image doesn’t really look at all like a Turner painting except for its semi-abstract, impressionist quality and the way that the light seems to glow from within. Still, when I downloaded this image, Turner was the first thing that came to my mind. Turner aside, I would love to get your impressions of this image. Does it elicit an emotional response?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

I love photographing in pre-dawn light and on this particular trip, with temperatures warm enough for swimming during the day and getting down near freezing at night, the early morning fog was stunning. On this morning the fog was so thick (… how thick was it?) that it was an absolute white-out beyond ten feet in front of me. Not only that but I had to wait for well over an hour before the fog begin to lift enough to even consider taking a picture. But the result was that the sun was well above the horizon by the time I took this, which is I why, I think, the colour was so unexpected, giving the impression that the island was lit from within.

Technical Details

Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 5.48.40 PM

4 Likes

My initial reaction? WOW!! Drop-dead gorgeous! Incredible light! The browns and blues are classic. Nature’s own pictorialism – and you captured and presented it perfectly. I love the high key dream look. Something you can’t see or touch, so you have to (GET to) FEEL it.

1 Like

It made me feel like something is going on without me. A place I want to be or an event I want to be present for and it’s happening despite my absence. Funny how that can make us feel slighted. I also feel a bit wistful having missed whatever it was.

1 Like

It has some similarities to a Turner but a Turner has more definition than there is here. It’s kind of what you see when looking through a shower door after it’s all steamed up. You can barely make out parts of the person’s body.

Really nice. This works for me emotionally more than anything.

I 100% agree with @Kris_Smith about this. It has a very inviting, SAFE, feeling about it and there is the darker area in the left portion of the trees that is inviting me to have a closer look. I feel like I’m missing out on something yet the invitation to have a closer look and to see what I’m missing out on is still there although the window is closing and I miss my opportunity. The colors make this a safe image for me. This is a really powerful and intriguing image, Kerry.

1 Like

First impression: something ominous is coming, and it could be Omar Sharif protecting his water source in “Lawrence of Arabia.” Beautiful image.

1 Like

@Diane_Miller -“drop dead gorgeous” is a high compliment coming from someone who has made her share of drop dead gorgeous. I’m referring to a couple of your photos you posted last January, which I only saw today (the silhouettes of the trees against the rusted hull of an abandoned ship). So, your compliment is received with great appreciation.
@Kris_Smith - what a profound observation. It is certainly not something I ever thought about or considered but I find it very touching that this image moves you in that way. Thank you for taking the time to share.
@Igor_Doncov -“looking through a shower door after it’s all steamed up”. A little on the prosaic side but, nonetheless, wholly accurate. Your thoughts are much appreciated as always, Igor.
@Michael_Lowe -Thank you, Michael, it is always gratifying to hear that something I have created has an emotional impact.
@David_Haynes - Thank you, David. I find both yours and Kristen’s experience of this image intriguing. I suppose it is a kind of “dance of the seven veils”, though I’m not sure how many veils we’re seeing through at this point. I have been wondering why I’m so attracted to fog and you and Kristen have given me much food for thought.
@Jim_Gavin -I’ve seen that movie at least five times maybe more. And yes, I get the connection. Again, your comment is helping me understand my fascination with fog - both what is hidden and what is revealed.

2 Likes

I agree with Jim it really does evoke Lawrence of Arabia, maybe not so much ominous as disquieting.

The Turner dominated the north wing of the Getty, I thought. I was surprised how saturated the colors were.

Initial 5 second response, a smudgy blur, a fire.

@Stephen_Stanton - And after 5 seconds? :slightly_smiling_face:

Kerry, sorry it didn’t get much better for me. It’s abstract paleness just does not fire anything in me. I see an island, water and sky. Without some definition it’s just an opaque blur. It is light years from a Turner .

And that’s fine, Stephen. I posted it for critique so it isn’t actually that important whether someone likes it or not. What is important (to me) is the impact it has and why. So, what you’ve just said is far more interesting and meaningful (for me) than your previous post.
P.S. You will note that right off the top I said “this image doesn’t really look like a Turner at all”.

1 Like