Sunrise over a Fogged Valley

What makes this image expressive?

Woke up one morning in Namibia to find the entire valley fogged up below. Then got to see this sun rise. It was so unusual that we didnt want to leave!

Specific Feedback Requested

I dont know how to “process” fog. Also, you may see this composed differently perhaps ?

2 Likes

Thanks again Karl, what a scene. I guess moments like these are why many of us like to spend time in nature. Very few people get to experience a sunrise and have the leisure to do so. Many people who work the land for a living or survival rarely have time to stand and look; to think, to feel. Deadlines need hit don’t that.

As landscape photographer’s we are already fortunate.

Many images make me reflect on the why of photography. Why do we bother, what is the point. Does the world need more photographs?

All these questions are valid and I think the bottom line is WE need to make photographs for any number of reasons.

Honestly, I don’t think there is anything I could suggest to make this image “better” - any change would be emotionally different and it would no longer be yours. I think the key with images like this is to just understand the nature of the content.

We process fog to FEEL like fog, keep the contrast lower, avoid negative dehaze, avoid clarity and anything that increases contrast.

When we see fog, we feel fog. When you process for, make it look how you feel. Avoid the desire to over-process, or push all the sliders to the right.

I hope that helps, but as it is, I love the image.

Thanks for your patience Alister

1 Like

You’re welcome…