Old Sycamore in the Fog WC #868

I think my first WC entry in the new NPN 2.0. This was captured just yesterday exactly 1 hour after my most recent post in the Landscape Critique gallery. This one has the details and contrast front and center, yet the fog is still present in the background. I was closer to this tree so the fog wasn’t obscuring as much as it was in the other image…

Quick and dirty processing using the Silver EFex Pro2 and a couple Levels layers to deal with contrast, exposure etc.

All comments and critiques welcome. I imagine this WC will be quite full by the end of the week!

thanks!

Lon

Technicals: Nikon D800E, 28-300mm @105mm f/16 single image

Lon, like your other recent post this to me is all about the structure of the trunks, branches, and the extended twigs. Again, it presents an etching like the previous post and the B&W is the perfect presentation no doubt. I assume the fine detail is presenting lichen or moss attached throughout the main trunks here. The fog has aided with the ability to shoot a bit later then your previous shot. And again, the B&W allows for that push beyond normal shooting times too. A solid find here…:sunglasses:

Beautiful framing, Lon. I like the way the tree fills it and the inclusion of parts of other interesting looking trees in the background grows the scene tremendously. The black & white works very well here.

Lon, my first reaction is, “Now that’s a tree!”. The shape of the tree is outstanding. How nice to have the fog hiding the background so that the tree nearly stands alone.

Thanks Paul!

Actually, I’m pretty sure there’s no lichen/moss. The sycamore tree has quite a picturesque bark, often multi-colored or toned. Also, much like other trees as they mature, the bark/outer layer starts breaking down and falling off, revealing the younger, brighter layers beneath. I think that’s what you’re seeing.

Lovely serene mood with the fog, Lon. The sycamore trees are dripping with character and I love the B&W conversion as well as the processing. No suggestions from me.