Old tree

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This tree is in a wash in some desert mountains. At first it struck me as ugly. The more I looked at it, though, the more I liked it.

Specific Feedback

Any and all feedback would be welcome.

Technical Details

ISO 100, 111mm, f/22, 1/6th sec.

1 Like

That really shouts “rugged” Don. Between the rough background and the mesquite (I think) tree, there’s a lot of clashing lines that all seem to come together for a very interesting image.

“Rugged” is a good word for it, John. I’d maybe add “regal.”

1 Like

This is far from “ugly” in my opinion. I am drawn to the organized chaos of the branches and I like the cliff as a background. Maybe do something to separate the tree from the background a bit more?

Robert, as I was processing this one I thought that it might help to separate the tree from the background more, as you suggest. I couldn’t find many good ways to do it. I would probably have converted this one to black and white except that the color differences were needed to separate the tree from the background.

Thanks for commenting.

If I had an idea of how to do so, I would have suggested it - maybe a luminosity mask or color mask? Perhaps some of our members more proficient in processing could comment. I think it is a fine composition.