On a Pedestal

Description:

This almost feels like a winter image to me. But this was actually limestone erosion patterns taken near the Wahweap Hoodoos in southern Utah. The desert is such a rich source of abstracts, and in many ways I enjoy it more for abstracts than for grand scenics.

In case anyone was wondering, the rock was found on this pedestal, and not placed there. The rock was large enough that I doubt I could have moved it anyways. The force of water and erosion can create some beautiful things. And unlike the tourist hordes at Antelope Canyon, they were no other people at this off the beaten track location.

Specific Feedback Requested:

any critique or comments are welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
no

On a Pedastal

Rework with more color contrast (warmer rock, cooler whites)

Second color rework, with warmer rock and original whites.

Rework in B&W

5 Likes

Ok, Ed…I know your past as a world class weight lifter helped you get that rock into just the right place…

On a “serious” note, this is stunning. The detail in the darker rock along with all the tones along the white rock are so well finessed. Just wondering what it would look like if the highlights on the white rock were cooled off. I’m not sure it would be better but it might create a more stark contrast between the cool white and the warm red on the perched rock. It would probably depart a bit from the actual scene but it had me wondering…

1 Like

Lovely image
I love the contrast between stillness (represented by the rock) and movement (represented by the lines from the erosion) as well as the color contrast

Wonderful find well presented!! I wonder how this would work as a B/W, for even more emphasis on its abstract nature?

This immediately caught my eye - it’s so graphic. The patterns and textures of the weathered mud are like curtains behind the rock star of the show. I could see warming up the rock a bit. I think the touch of warmth would make it pop even more against the cool mud.

Wow, this is minimalistic and yet not. The abstractness really pulls you in. As @Diane_Miller said, this might look really good in B&W. Great catch, Ed.

Cheers,
David

Beaytiful Ed, these are the small landscapes that I prefer. For me the contrast of lights works good, may be a bit more light in the colors? Only the light. I love how the white rock at the base of the stone seems to crack under its weight.

Oh, I like this image as well. I really wanted to photograph this area as well but it was just too far for my legs. My only suggestion is that the background looks just a tad soft to me.

Actually you could experiment with color if you had a mind to do so. You could make that rock still warmer and the background bluish. I would never have done so a few years ago but now I take greater freedoms.

https://www.anilraophotography.com/portfolios/desert_dreams/inner_sanctum.html

Really nice abstract. I was thinking along the same lines as Igor about the the background blues and warm rock. I would also look at vignetting a bit in the ULC. Very nicely seen and conceived.

The contrasts here are wonderful. It speaks of geological time in a way few photos do. I also love how the material under the rock appears to have buckled under it. Well seen. The highlights are strong and I wonder at taking them down a little. Also darkening the cracks in the ULC to correspond to the dark ones above the rock. Hm…it might not work though…the rock needs that visual weight since it really is heavy.

@David_Wallace @Aref @Diane_Miller @Bonnie_Lampley @David_Bostock @Giuseppe_Guadagno @Igor_Doncov @Harley_Goldman @Kris_Smith

Thank you all for your comments, there have been some good suggestions. I’m glad that a number of you commented on the cracks beneath the rock, I think that they a neat part of the image.

when I saw this rock, it made me think of the term “potential energy” from my college physics course.

I have previously tried this image as a B&W, and for whatever reason it just doesn’t have as much impact for me as the color version does. I have attached a B&W rework back up top. I would welcome anyone taking a stab at a B&W rework to see if you come up with something. I don’t do a lot of B&W, so I may not be doing it justice with my B&W version.

Harley and Igor, this image is already cooler in the whites and warmer in the rock than in the raw file. But you both encouraged me to try to push that even further. Another rework posted back up top. I like where this suggestion takes the image.

Glorious rendition in the color rework, Ed. The warmer rock works wonderfully; I’m a little less enthused with the cooler erosion channels though. Having never seen these formations, may I ask what is their actual color? Your composition iws spot on to me, as is the texture and contrast. Your processing is exquisite, as always. Bravo!

I played with a B/W a bit and couldn’t really improve on yours, but I did try a couple of things that are worth considering: I did a subtle gradient darken on the base of the pedestal and the large lighter formation to its left, and reduced contrast on the rock a bit. Then I did a slight glamour glow, which added a bit more mystery.

The color rework is better than the original. I had much stronger blues in mind that were more like turquoise. I like your rework.

Excellent abstract Ed. I like the color balance in your original. I am really enjoying all the textural details.

A very good graphic, abstract image, Ed. I really like that despite the abstractness of the image the rock is a fully recognisable object. I vote for the original posting. In the B&W image, maybe the stone could be darkened a tad to make it stand out more from the BG.

After reviewing the photos a number of times, the original with a warmer rock would be my choice.

I agree with @Jim_Gavin, after seeing the original, modify 1, and the B&W, the original is my favorite.

Cheers,
David

@Bill_Chambers @Eva_McDermott @Ola_Jovall @Jim_Gavin

thank you for your comments and thoughts on the reworks.

After I posted the first rework (cooler whites, warmer rock), I kind of came to the same conclusion after lettinghtem sit for a while, Second rework added back up top that doe this.