On the edge

Ice in various forms along the edge of a small stream in early winter brought to mind a look into the depth of the universe. Who knows?!

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

any and all

Technical Details

Minolta DiMAGE 7i, 1/80, f/3.0, 25mm, ISO 125 with minor adjustments to tone curves and sharpening in LR

5 Likes

Hi John,
that’s an awesome abstract image.

The first thought that came to my mind when I saw the picture was “night sky”.

It definitely looks like a nightscape image. There are some trees growing on a hill. And the stars twinkle in the pitch-black night sky.

Hi John! I agree with @Jens_Ober. Very cool abstract that looks like a landscape. Has the same feel to me as the photo of the year from the 2021 Natural Landscape Awards. I like it how it is, but a question I would have is how it might look with different crops changing the proportions of the different areas. Excellent shot.

Nice work John! The composition especially the three distinct layers look good. The top definitely reminds me of a star lit sky and the bottom a mountain range or forest. Agree with Cameron that this reminds of me of the winning image from NLPA 2021.

John,

This is wonderful, fantastic! I too get the starry-night impression. In fact I see the middle triangle as a grove of trees with the night sky above. Very cool.

I was thinking along the same lines as Cameron with the potential alternates of cropping. I wonder if reducing some of the “sky” with a combination of top left or right cropping a little - with the purpose of ending up with equal “weight” of the 3 main patterns or elements. I might hate to lose some of those stars, but just as an alternate look, I think having a more equal weight between them - and the triangles that are present could be cool too. Personal choice of course!

Lon

Thanks all. It is one of those images that could easily be cropped into many different versions, all wonderfully fantastical. Definitely one of those “who knew” when I clicked the shutter.