One of my favorite visitors in the summer & RP

This Black Headed Grosbeak was hanging out in the shade and I forgot to turn on the flash. But I like the pose.

Description:

Specific Feedback Requested:

ISO 2500, 400+1.4 X, F6 .3, 2000th, about 50% of full frame

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

1 Like

This didn’t load the larger version, David. I agree that a touch of fill flash would really have set the bird off, though I think you could punch it up a trifle more in post. I haven’t managed to get one to pose for me yet this summer, but there’s still some time.

Not enlarging here, either, but it looks lovely from the thumbnail (or maybe its a toenail…) Put out black sunflower seed and they will be all over the feeders, to the extent that some will be forced to wait patiently (about 2 seconds) for their turn.

@David_Schoen - I was able to correct the image not enlarging. It does now.

Nice image of the Grosbeak. I like the pose very much. Yep, a touch of fill would have certainly benefited the image.

1 Like

The pose & background are lovely. Such interesting markings and colors. I’ve never seen one of these IRL so it’s great you’re able to take these photos. Maybe a little processing magic with a mask or radial filter can simulate a fill flash here.

Reprocessed

1 Like

I like it. Did you use a mask to do it? If so you could take the background down just a scosh so it wouldn’t be so saturated. If she had her mate’s coloring, it could probably stay.