Ooh aah Colorado autumn grand landscape 2022

Under ideal conditions (peaking autumn color, snow capped mountains, something happening in the sky, good light) it is almost impossible to not get intoxicated by grand landscapes in the San Juan Mountains of Colorado. I took so many of these, they are almost oozing out of my hard drive. Anybody need one? This is what it was like for two amazing days. It reinforces the old adage that one of the secrets of good landscape photography is that you have to keep going back to the same locations over and over again. This was my fourth visit and the first three were either not at peak, no snow, or no clouds, etc. etc.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Technical Details

Taken at 10 am, f/16, ISO 100, 1/30 second, 70mm, Canon 5dIV, EF 24-70 2.8 II lens

8 Likes

Tony
What a wonderful image. You hit the trifecta. Great colors. Beautiful clouds and light on the mountains and a dusting of snow on the peaks. There might not be a better place to be than the San Juan’s in the fall. I wouldn’t change a thing on how you processed this beautiful image.

Oh my, that is just a spectacular image, Tony. It captures Colorado fall color in full drama. Wow, perfect in every way.

The colors are stunning! Beautiful snow covered mountain with a little fog topping it off. Good dramatic sky. Great contrast. What else is there to say “WOW”.

This is stunning Tony. The dappled light on the mountain and the yellow aspens are beautiful. I would not change a thing.

Having photographed this vantage point many times, I can say you captured it nicely here.

Persistence can pay off. The colors, textures, and light all work very nicely with each other. I also like the criss crossing lines of the foreground and background mountains.

Nice balance and weather conditions here. I feel it is just a tad warm though, I’d like to feel the light more by those shadows going cooler. I think you could achieve this with a slight white balance adjustment.

Stunning photo, Tony! Between the brilliant autumn colors and dramatic light on the mountain, I think you nailed this.

@David_Bostock @Eric_Bennett @DeanRoyer @Donna_Callais @Matt_Payne @Eva_McDermott Thank you so much for the comments. I really appreciate your feedback.