Mountains, Snow, Color - Fall in Colorado

I found this location late in 2019 when visited Colorado to photograph Fall colors. Unfortunately, I arrived too late to see the colors, but I marked this sight on my GPS because it looked like it had a lot of potential. This image was taken on 10/3/2022. I really like the multiple V formations that lead the viewer’s eyes up to the snow. I also really like all the color from the aspens on both sides. I’m a little upset with myself for not doing something better with the foreground, but I do like the dark brownish yellow texture in the shadow as well as the line that separates the foreground from the hills/mountains. I also really like the way the sky filters the sunlight onto the whole scene. I tried to accentuate this with some dodging and burning, but I struggled a little with a good strategy as I wanted to keep the viewer’s eyes going up towards the V formations.

Specific Feedback Requested

I am very anxious to hear of any suggestions on how I might have processed this image better. It almost seems like composition is so natural with the V’s leading up to the snowing mountains that one can’t make any improvements on it. However, I am sure there are some things that I could do better. I tried to lighten up the bottom of the V’s slightly to lead the viewer’s eyes up through that part of the scene, but it seems like the bright yellows on the slopes will always be a distract, albeit a good one. It there something I should be doing to make the flow of the scene better? All suggestions welcome!

Technical Details

Camera: Canon R5
Tripod: yes
Lens: Canon 35-70 with polarizer
Settings: ISO 50, 46mm, 1/60 sec., F14

2 Likes

Alexander, welcome back to NPN. What a wonderful image. You’re right, this is a very natural composition. Well seen. The only things I might change would be to darken the clouds so the highlights aren’t so bright and then brighten the foreground a touch to bring it up some.

Minor changes but the would put this image over the top in my opinion.

Cheers,
David

Alexander,

Yes, welcome back! Great to have you posting an image.

And what a grand autumn landscape this is. Yes, the composition works quite well - classic. And I agree, I like the shadow line of the foreground. I do think the luminosity could be raised a tad as David suggests. I even like the brighter orange bush anchoring the bottom - it gives the eye a place to “rest.”

The clouds are wonderful, and also creating a high-contrast scene which I think you’ve handled quite well in terms of processing.

My only nit/suggestion would be to desaturate the blue in that patch of forest just below the white, “glacial” looking patch on the mountain. In other words, there’s a brighter patch of forest near the center of the frame that pulls the eye unnecessarily.

You did well to remember this spot and return to capture this beauty.

Lon

Thank you @David_Bostock and @Lon_Overacker for your helpful comments! I have attempted to make the suggested corrections in the attached image. If you see this, please let me know if I accomplished what you suggested. Thank you in advance!

2 Likes

Definitely an improvement, Alexander. Well done.

Thank you for the quick feedback!

Yup, I think you nailed it! You took care of the 2 primary suggestions.

Thanks for taking the time to rework and repost.

A best practice to keep in the back of your mind… when reposting edited versions, you can simply edit your original post and “Add image” to the original. The advantage here is that a user can then toggle between the original and the edited version allowing them to quickly compare. No biggie as you posted in a reply, but something you can try in a future post.

Thanks!

Thank you @Lon_Overacker for taking the time to help me!
Regards;

Willem

1 Like