Open Sesame

What technical feedback would you like if any?

The image was taken in Bryce Canyon hoodoo area, Utah with Sony A7R3 camera and Sony FE 24-105mm lens, 57mm, ISO 100, 1/100sec at f/11. Post processing included LR, PS, Luminar.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi Izzy!

I like the line of trees on the plateau and I think the color combination is gorgeous but I wish I can see more openings on the cliff. The far “wing” extends out and covers the openings on the far side of the cliff. Not quite sure if there is a different angle that would show them a bit more.

1 Like

Thank you Adhika. I see your point but don’t recall the angle options as this image was taken in fall of 2018 and processed recently. I think that part of my reasoning for the angle chosen was the diagonal flow of the image as opposed to being straight on.

This makes me think of some of the cathedrals I saw. It’s interesting To see how architecture mimics nature.

1 Like

I never thought of the resemblance until you’ve mentioned it, but I agree.

An interesting set of formations. I like the way you used the trees here, I think it makes the image more visually dynamic than a “hoodoos only” shot. I find the “cathedral arches” to be the most visually interesting thing about the image, and would do some tweaks to help emphasize them more.

I would crop away some from the bottom, in part to make the arches larger in the frame. I would also suggest burning down the brighter pillars in the foreground. This would also help place more emphasis on the arches. Here is a rework reflecting my comments.

1 Like

Great photo! A unique approach to a too often photographed location. My only nit: I would like to see more of the trees in the upper right.

1 Like

Izzy,
The color combination works very well here as do the cathedral shaped formations. I am enjoying @Ed_McGuirk’s rework as the couple of tweaks with the crop and taming the high lights have elevated an already lovely image another notch. I could see a bit more trees in the URC, but it is not a deal breaker. This is nicely done.

1 Like

Good points! I like the revised image that you’ve made. Thank you.

Thank you Tony.

Thank you Ed.