Orange Crowned Warbler

Description:

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

This is basically a quick snapshot. I had been set up for birds in brighter conditions and this one was in a bush as I came into the area. So the ISO was high. Higher than my camera deals with. Got rid of some in LR and then in Topaz Denoise. Gone before I could adjust anything.
Rare for me to get a warbler out in the open.
Canon 7D ll, Canon 400mm, ISO 6400, 1/3200sec, f/9.0, free hand.
All comments appreciated.

Is this a composite?

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Good to catch it, even if not under the best conditions. I had that camera and hated to go over ISO 800. This would be a good image try a technique I’ve been using for NR, but I haven’t had a chance to test it very well. My premise is that Topaz DeNoise may work best on the raw file without any NR or strong tonal adjustments in the raw converter. (I don’t know if the latest versions are better, but that’s what would be best to test. ) I wouldn’t just go with its suggested values but scroll around to various areas of the image and check the results for consistency and tweak the values if necessary. I’d be interested to know how that compares to your hybrid approach.

If you needed to make tonal adjustments to Shadow and Highlights, try them as the Camera Raw filter in PS on the denoised image. I’ve found that I can go much further in bringing up shadow detail with less noise after I’ve run Topaz.

Still a bit noisy, but a nice look at the Warbler and I like the setting you have it in.

Yes those surprise shits can be tricky sometimes. But you did get the warbler and out in the open. A good suggestion from Diane and worth the try. You might be able to open up the shadows a bit more.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will go back to PS and see if I can re work it.

Pretty good for a grab shot, Charlie. I don’t use the AI products, but I know Diane has done a lot of experimenting with them, so her suggestions are definitely worth investigating.

Thanks Diane. I did as you suggested and used Topaz Denoise. I selected AI Clear and set it for high Noise and low sharpening. Back in LR I adjusted the shadows and highlights, a bit of texture and Clarity. Much better detail around the beak and feathers. Still a bit grainy at 200% but, I think improved. Thanks again for the advice.

1 Like

That is much better. You even got a bit of color in the eye. And sorry about that spell check typo. Nasty!

Repost is a nice improvement over the original. Topaz DeNoise AI works best when I apply it right after adjusting shadows in LightRoom…Jim