Orange Flower

I got the Adorama 500D close up filter to see how the Canon 100-400 ii would work on it. I don’t know how soft the edges will be, but this is to get close to insects more than anything. Like Shirley stated on another post, this is a faster focus lens than the Macro 180 and does have IS in the lens.
At 400mm it does get a little bit closer to the subject than the 180 while keeping some distance.

I have been considering a Canon RP or R6 because I have read the camera has some kind of IS system it in so something like my Canon 180 macro would work better, but I don’t know. Need to rent one.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 6D ii Canon 100-400 ii Adorama 500D close up filter. (Canon was available)
1/320 f/25 iso 2000 HH This is as shot, no post process. Setting to f/40 did not help sharpness.

Dean, I think it looks pretty good. In this image, the edges being soft does really matter since it is just background. I haven’t tried it on my 100-400 mm yet, but am glad to hear it works. Not sure what is going on with my lens, I have wiped my contacts on it a couple of times. It focuses part of the time. I really like that lens, so sure hope it hasn’t gone bad on me. I don’t have the latest version of it like you do, but the 500D should work. Wish you the best with this closeup filter.

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman it was a test image more than anything. I do not care for the white band to the left if the flower which could be removed. Just to be sure, are the settings on the lens set ok. Mind would not focus and it was the infinity part was set wrong. Don’t ever rent the Mark ii of this lens, you will likely get one. It is lighter faster and focuses 3 feet. One review I read is that it just about can replace the macro. I don’t quite agree but it is not bad at all.

One thing I do like about using it as a macro is sometimes a butterfly or something lands in a perfect pose but I am too close to get all of it. When I move back off she goes. The 100-400 allows me to adjust the zoom and not move.

Thank you, Dean. I didn’t even mention the light streaks in the background of this image, and I should have I guess. It felt like from your comments that you were mainly showing a test image from your new setup. I sure hope it works well for you. I know what you mean about some butterflies, etc., that will fly off if you move, so the zoom works good in that respect.

Yes, I checked the setting on the lens to make sure I was set for focusing at the distance, and it was right. I just tried the lens aiming out the window, and it focused fine at both settings.

Don’t tell me that about Mark II, as I will want to move up! I will try to refrain. This has been a wonderful lens which I bought used some years ago. I would need to upgrade my teleconverters too, so a major upgrade. Lighter and faster is a real temptation though, not to mention focusing a bit closer. Something to think about down the road maybe. I can’t get out to photograph anything outside my yard at this point in life, so I will try to hold the reins.

Thank you for thinking about that setting though. Sometimes it is just the simple things that we overlook, and think our equipment is broken.

1 Like