Orange House Finch

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I occasionally see this color variation, caused by diet, I’ve read. At least he chose appropriate colors for the perch and BG (looking downhill toward a patch of bark).

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 3.57.42 PM

Minor tonal tweaks in LR (cloudy day). Into PS for Topaz Denoise (Low Light mode) and cropped to about 50% of the full frame. I was sitting on the driveway curb with the camera on a monopod. Should have gone to a higher ISO – I was on thin ice with that SS.

2 Likes

Hi Diane,
Interesting color on this finch and you showed it off quite well. Really nice details on the bird. The rusty man-made perch adds another level of interest IMO. Nice BG too. Well done.

I have a friend with this same camera and lens. He uses the lens with 1.4x extender quite a bit but not the 2x. I’m not sure if that is because he is concerned about the image quality or difficulty in stopping action at that aperture and resulting shutter speed. I’ll have to tell him to give the 2x a look for still subjects given the fine results you obtain.

The orange really makes this shot for me. Well that and the usual perfection you achieve with small birds. I knew without seeing your name that it was one of yours. I’d be tempted to bring the shadows or darker mid tones down a tiny bit. The detail and pose are excellent as always and that background to die for.

Beautiful! I love the colour story here …along with the amazing detail.

I love the color of the finch and the way it works with the background, Diane. Superb detail in the bird. I’ve seen this species go all the way to yellow every once in awhile. I’ve also seen completely uncolored birds singing-don’t know if they were females or males that weren’t eating the right thing. I need to research it a little better.

Thanks, @Allen_Sparks, @Kris_Smith, @Robena.Sirett and @Dennis_Plank! I should be able to get better shots of this guy, assuming he will be one of the regulars at the feeders. Light should be better tomorrow for a few days. We’ve been in a major stratus fog thing for a while.