Oregon Dark-eyed Junco on a Rail

Oregon Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis oreganus)

I’ve been working with my new wildlife camera kit and went to a local business park that is home to many local and wintering birds. I came upon a group of Juncos foraging on the path. This one jumped up to the split rail fence and I happened to get a couple of decent shots off.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I really like how the soft colors of the bird are reflected in the out of focus background. I had a bit of room to crop and I like how this turned out, but would like to read other opinions. Overall, I am pretty pleased with the new camera’s clean high ISO ability.

Technical Details

600mm, 1/1250 sec @ f/8, ISO 6400, processed in Capture One.

Looks like it was taken in my back yard, David. I’ve used some old rails like this for feeding stations for years. I like the nice curve in the rail and the head turn the Junco gave you. The background is super clean and still conveys northwest green.

What’s your new rig?

Thanks Dennis,

Several years ago I sold all my Canon gear, including the 600mm f/4 beast to fund the Fujifilm GFX medium format setup. I love it. But I’ve missed bird/wildlife photography, so I picked up the new Fujifilm X-H2 and 150-600mm f/5.6-8 zoom. The X-H2 is a crop camera, but at 40 megapixels, has plenty of details. The zoom is very light, easy to hand hold. Overall, I’m very pleased with the setup. It will be great for my upcoming trip to Malheur Wildlife Refuge in the spring.

Cheers,
David

A terrific image, David. The junco is beautiful with lots of detail, the perch and the background are both terrific. Looks like you have a nice setup with the Fujifilm.

Sounds like a very nice setup, David. Malheur is always worthwhile.

1 Like

Gorgeous!! Wonderful detail, tonalities and color! The EP is well-deserved!

Looking forward to lots more wildlife images. I need to get up to Malheur sometime – I’ve heard it’s very nice!

1 Like