Osprey with Lunch

Back in May I was lucky to catch this guy landing near its nest, which I was watching and managed a shot of him doing a little snacking before delivering it to mama in the nest. This is a Largemouth Bass that I sure wouldn’t mind catching!

Specific Feedback Requested

I’m particularly interested in opinions on its cropping.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, hand held, 1/3200th, f 7.1, 500mm, ISO 750, AI Clear, cropped to 2268 x 2702.

1 Like

For my eye, more space to both left and right - then it will be a winner. I think he’s resting with such a heavy load!

I have a very similar set of images taken several years ago while vacationing on Sanibel-Captiva Island, Florida, USA. I say all that because all my images have cloud backgrounds. So, did you clone out the clouds? To me the pure blue background makes the image look like a composite. In my opinion if you’re trying to show the bird in a natural habitat the clouds should stay in the image. Osprey with morning catch.

George’s assertion that a blue sky makes an image look like a composite because it is in Florida and Florida always has clouds in the sky is rather presumptive than factual . I also shoot in Florida primarily and far more of my Osprey shots show a almost pure blue sky than with clouds. It could be that Sanibel has more clouds, more often because its relative location is closer to the Straits of Florida whereas I am up in the Panhandle and even as the crow flies, right at 500 miles further north.

Dave can add enough canvas on the left side of the image to give the Osprey room to look out., as I have done here. I chose a horizontal framing as I thought it better suited the frame.

Hi Dave
Any reason you went with a vertical framing, rather than a horizontal framing? The feather coloring and detail are very nice. I like the eye contact and the whites are well controlled.
Peter