Otter Love #2

I was sitting on the rocks at the salmon hatchery shooting photos of the sea lions catching salmon when all of a sudden this pair of Sea Otters popped up ~15 feet in front of me and started making out! Fortunately I was shooting with the 70-200 f/2.8 so I was able to keep the action inside the frame . The passion was hot & heavy and I got lots of shots. You can go to the Wildlife Showcase and search for “Otter Love” to see the whole series. I particularly like this frame because the space between them makes an upside down heart :wink:

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Technical Details

Sony a6500, FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM @ 198 mm, ISO-200, f/2.8, 1/2500, hand held.

2 Likes

WOW Gary, this is a wonderful photo. How amazing to be able to experience this act of love and get an amazing shot too. I love everything g about this image. The otters are pin sharp, the water around them is beautiful and the heart is an extra bonus. Thanks for sharing!!

Definitely a wonderful surprise. Nice shape created by this pair. The detail in the larger version is excellent too.

AWWWWWWW!!! What a great surprise and gorgeous picture.

I should mention that I made a Valentine card out of this frame for my wife. It said “You Otter Be My Valentine” . It was a big hit :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

All said above – this is fantastic!! I had no idea otters were so romantic!

Sea Otters are very social oriented animals so the affection didn’t surprise me but all the kissing did surprise me as I thought kissing was just a human thing! If you look at the sequence I posted in Wildlife Showcase you can see that it wasn’t a one off coincidence. They were actually doing it a lot :astonished: