Outcropping - with Rework

super tight shot of a rock outcropping somewhere in the Badlands.

Technical Details

Composite: No
D810, 24-120 @24mm, f/11, 1/325, ISO 640

After further thought and too much unsuccessful dinking with the posted image ECU, I went back to the original image and reworked it as a full formation.

Hey Chris, I like the idea, but I’m not sure the realization lives up to it. The top crop seems tight, leaving one of the outcrop unnaturally cut. I feel like the photo is trying to convey an emotion, but falls short of it. What if you were to make it B&W and aggressively dodge/burn it to add drama? I’m talking about really aggressive here, with negative space and strong focus.

Just my 0.02$ :slight_smile:

Hi Chris, this is a very interesting shot and I tend to agree with Lorenzo about the cropping; would like to see a bit more. On the other hand, you’re contrasting two very different formations, which is interesting in itself. Though they share the same tannish color, the larger pieces have areas of dark brown and are relatively smooth, compared to the background which has a very rough and pitted texture. One can only imagine what geologic forces were at work here.

1 Like

Chris, the change from big rounded rocks to “muddy” is interesting, but I’m definitely wanting to see the tops of the big rocks as this is presented. An alternative might be to cut off some from both top and bottom, maintaining the 50:50 split.

1 Like

Look at the reworked image below the original post.

I really like the reworked image, thanks Chris! I still think B&W will add to the image instead of removing. Also a more dramatic sky and increased contrast will give the image a very unique mood.
Thanks for sharing the photo!