Roadside outcrop

Description: This outcrop is astonishing, and goes unseen if I am in a car driving by. Walking? I never tire of seeing it and the changes it goes through over the seasons and, now, through the years I’ve enjoyed it.

Specific Feedback Requested: any and all

Pertinent technical details or techniques: I’ve sharpened the images and slightly adjusted contrast and brightness. The colors are as they actually are when the light is diffuse and bright.

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) No, this is a single image.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram Yes.(@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

1 Like

This very colorful outcropping makes for an outstanding abstract image. This is often the case with geology. The magic happens below the surface and the erosion brings it to light. This looks like it was near a geothermal spring. Wonderful lines, textures, and colors.

Thanks, David. If there was a geothermal spring here, it was tens of thousands of years ago! There are the remains of garnets embedded and the long, brown line is where a root had penetrated between the leaves of the shale. Yes, I never tire of looking at and photographing rocks.

This looks like a view satellite view of another planet. You’ve got a fine collection of shapes and colors.

Much appreciated, Mark. Yes, I love making photos where you can’t tell whether it was from 30,000 feet or 3 feet or a 1/3 of an inch.