Outside Pedal

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I can hold my camera only so high because of an accident. I saw this plant outside in the front of the house… i liked the lines and curves so i took this image with camera pointing down.

Specific Feedback

I’m posting this photo hoping to get ideas on how to get rid of the trashy spots. I used the spot healing tool and got rid of some. But the more I used it I think it affected the tone of the image. I use Photoshop and edited this photo keeping some green and popped put the white veins by dodging. Used contrast to give some black in spots. I do like the curve in the one plant that goes vertical.

Technical Details

ISO 200 Shutter 500 f11 edited in Photoshop…

1 Like

I remember that Piximperfect on YouTube had a video on getting rid of scratches etc.
This is an interesting image. Personally I would clone out the two horizontal leaves LHS for a cleaner image. I would also rotate the image to see what looks best.
Its an interesting image as presented.

Nice one Gill! Even in the subtle shades of green, your photo has a rich, textural feel that’s captivating. The interplay of light on the leaves is beautifully captured, bringing out the curves and veins with a delicate touch.

For a little boost, you might play around with the lighting balance just a tad—to tease out a hint more detail from the shadows and keep the highlights from stealing the show. A simple tweak could make those details pop even more. You’ve got a great eye for the natural beauty in the world around us!

Thanks I tried to make the light as even as i could because of all the white spots i was getting in my editing. I used the spot healing tool alot but every adjustment made it a little trashy. So Im not sure about the final image results. Sometimes the lines and curves and tone can over ride some of the flaws that we see. Thanks for showing interest. We all are learning and there are a lot of great photographers on the NPN. I love your work. Peace to you …

HI Gil. I love the shapes in this image. I wouldn’t worry about those little white spots-I think they’re just hairs on the plant catching the light. I agree with @Saundie that bringing up the darker areas just a bit would help a lot to even out the image as it feels dominated by the bright leaf in the upper right to me. If you go back to the raw file in LR or whatever RAW editor you use, a local adjustment brush to bring up the shadows in the darker areas might do the trick and it won’t affect the highlights as much. Alternatively, a luminosity mask in PS will let you do much the same thing.

Cool. Thanks for showing interest. I use Photoshop real simple. Don’t know much about masking. I’ll lighten it up some and see how it goes.
Thanks. Always learning. :camera_flash::camera_flash::camera_flash:

1 Like

Gil: Neat abstract and well composed and presented IMO. There is just enough contrast to keep me engaged. Nicely done. >=))>