Overgrown

Critique Style: Standard

The photographer is looking for thoughtful feedback on the image as a whole, especially around the areas noted below.

Feedback Focus: Artistic + Technical

About This Image

I enjoy photographing old and rusted out buildings and equipment. This image was taken at a nearby old car ‘dump’ where they are overgrown with years of vegetation growth. This is obviously an infrared image with post processing the vegetation to be a surreal purple /blue color.

Feedback Requested

This is an infrared photography where I wanted to push the colors to the extreme away from a ‘normal’ visible color image. I would like feedback on how the colors go with the truck and create a ‘realistic’ yet surreal scene. I wasn’t sure what to do about a gray sky out of camera so I pushed the sky a little green.

Technical Details

ISO 100, f/5.6 at 1/1,250
Nikon Z6 converted to full spectrum with a 590nm filter
Nikon 24-120mm f/4 lens

Hi Jeffery,
Old buildings and rusted out equipment certainly make for some interesting photo subjects. I too try to photograph them whenever the opportunity presents itself. It is great to think outside the box; but being honest I do not think the processing with the purple and green colors work. This is just my opinion of course as others may love the combination. I would be curious to see the original infrared image as I do like the overall scene with the old abandoned vehicles. Keep on experimenting!

The color combination is a definite eye catcher, Jeffrey, and it invites further exploration of the image. We have a large number of this kind of assemblage near us and I do like photographing them now and then. While the colors do a fine job of grabbing the viewer’s attention, I don’t think I’d want this on my wall. That said, the college crowd might love it!

I feel like I know what you are going for… this old truck surrounded by vegetation. But for me, the tractor trailer on the left and the right side distract too much from the subject.

Personally, I just want to see the vegetation engulfing the old truck… seeing it rust back into nature. But the distractions pull my eye away from the main subject.

I think I would have tried to shoot this from a much lower vantage point in order to let the subject block out the items in the background so I was mostly looking at vegetation and that single truck. If you still couldn’t frame it to remove the background distractions, burn them a little bit so they don’t compete with the subject.