Owl id?

Only saw this one because another flew and caught it out of corner of my eye. Was fairly dark in morning even though about 9am (Somewhat typical of Washington coast in morning). Only got a few shots before it, too, fled.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
5D MK $; 100/400 @400; 9.0; 1600 ISO; 1/200th; spot; WB: auto; HH. Slightly cropped; sharpened (1/200th for me is a bit to0 slow for good sharpness.

Hi Jim, I really like this image and the sharpness looks fine to me. While the surroundings are rather busy, they show off the bird’s environment quite well and I don’t see many distractions right behind or in front of the bird. So a quite pleasing image. Removing the branch behind the bird’s head would help I think. Nice image. Was this shot from a vehicle?

1 Like

Wow what a catch. Agree with Allen about the branch near the head. Looks like a juvenile great horned owl to me. I’m so jealous you saw them and have this shot. I only ever seem to scare them out of perches before I even see them. Stealthy buggers. You could also have a go at clone stamping away the blown highlights in the back, too. Great exposure for the bird, but the sky…you know how it goes!

Nice capture in a busy environment, Jim. Details look good in the bird and while there are a few distractions (branch, sky) that’s just the way it is sometimes with birds. Overall. a fine shot.

Allen, Kristen and Terry, Thank you for the helpful comments. As usual there, the sky was a bright overcast. It hadn’t burned away yet. The branch needs to be removed. From a car? In a cemetery where I could use a headstone to help with movement. Should have mentioned that earlier.

Real nice behavioral image. I like the head-on view. Good job with the processing. Yes it would be a little sharper if the shutter speed had been increased.

Hi Jim
Jim if we are looking past the eyes, we have misted the point of this photograph. Very nice nature shot.
Peter

David, Thanks. I returned next morning ready with new settings AND not there or at least that I could see. Peter, Thank you. I agree.