Palo verde tree

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I have a soft spot for palo verde trees. They grow in profusion in some parts of the desert here. This one attracted my attention because of the lines of the branches. I was out before sunrise and there was no wind.

Specific Feedback

I’d appreciate any comments anyone may have.

Technical Details

ISO 100, f/16, 1.3 seconds.

It looks like plants swaying underwater. Swirling and undulating. Or like a giant lichen. I can see why you have a soft spot for them. It almost looks like a drone shot, but then I see the trunk’s orientation. The size is small so I can’t see it enlarged, but the combination of yellows to gray/blue is really striking.

Thanks for commenting, Kristen. The interplay of the colors is why I didn’t change the white balance. I keep the camera’s white balance set to daylight. I was shooting before the sun rose in this area so the shot had a blue cast. I left it that way.

That’s my approach the WB also, and I rarely change it when I get it in the raw converter. There is something honest about it.

I love the intertwined branches and the varied color of the limbs. It almost looks like two different trees intertwined.

Thanks, Diane.

I really like the forms of the major limbs and the smaller branches create an interesting texture, Don.