Palouse surprise.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We decided to take a day trip to Steptoe Butte last Friday. I was looking forward to the early spring colors. Some snow on tops of hills at Colfax. Closer we got to Steptoe; more snow and started snowing. We were the only ones at the butte. Drove up through quite a bit of snow and some drifts (probably not the wisest move with no one else there). The higher we got, the foggier it got. Took several photos. Made for a B/W environment. I’ll post some others later. I found getting good images was difficult. I would like to have remained until later in the day when the snow melted and it got brighter, but we had to get back home.

Specific Feedback

Just about anything you would like to suggest.

Technical Details

Canon 5DMKIV; 24.70 @57; 1/500th; 13.0; ISO 320; WB: cloudy; +1/3 exposure.

With your appreciation of opportunities to make abstracts from nature, I can see why you and few others would be able to make something of these lines, shapes, curves, and patterns. The muted greens work nicely against the reddish bush twigs. I had to look at this for a while to decide how I felt about the strong shapes in the right in the same photo as the intricate curves in the rest of the picture. Still trying to digest it all. If you want a simpler crop for simpler minds like mine, you might try something along the lines of the attached.

@Dick_Knudson Thanks for your suggestion. I included more of the snow on the road to emphasize how much there was for this time of year. I agree, it does take away from the curves below. Good point.