Paradise Cave Sunset

Photographed from within the cave on Lake Superior at sunset. 2 images, one exposed for the cave and the other for the sky.
Blending was a challenge as I did get some fringing which I manually corrected

I do have the option of using a “sky” without that human element. Please feel free to opine on whether this adds or detracts

Specific Feedback Requested

Any fine tuning

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

I like the idea of this composition of a ‘circle’ with all those lines radiating into it. But when I opened the image I liked it less then I thought I would. Having tones inside the cave that are brighter than outside gives it an artificial look that’s hard not to notice. I would remove the man as well for the same reason. The image looks too contrived for my taste. Others may not agree but that’s my opinion. But I really like the zoomed in look that all those converging lines provide.

While compelling, I agree with Igor. The cave wouldn’t be brighter than the outside and so it looks disconcerting. The sky also looks a trifle muddy IMO although I don’t mind the person for scale.

I would be in agreement with the previous posts. This one has an unnatural HDR look. I would also prefer a version without the person. He provides scale but doesn’t look quite right in the scene. You captured some great detail, textures, colors and lines in the cave.

I really like all the colours and converging lines within the cave, but wonder if there is another version with a selected area, from the direction of the outside light; a graduation vignette of the cave.

I’m leaning toward the removal of the fisherman, but it’s good to see the scale.

While I would certainly without the fishermen, he does add a sense of scale. I would have to see another version before making a decision. But I do like the colors and textures in the image and the sky is blended in well.

Thanks @Igor_Doncov , @Harley_Goldman , @glennie , @Kris_Smith , @David_Schoen

All your points are well taken. When I look back I see the unnatural look with the cave exposed as much - was trying to show detail - but realize that the context is far more important.
Here is a different SINGLE file processed in LR and a liile in PS. Far more natural perhaps ?
Again, the fringing along the cave edges - I think this is a part of processing - only a little in the original - any easy fixes ? I can of course, go around the edges and correct manually

This looks far more natural and to my eye, far better. I don’t know of any way to fix the fringing other than manually. If you find a better way, please share it.

1 Like

Your repost looks more natural. I like the textures and lines on the cave walls.

1 Like

The rework is a fine image.

1 Like

Your RP is wonderful!

If you work in ACR or LR the Defringe Tool (under Optics)worked quite well on your image. There is an eyedropper within the Defringe Panel. Click on the fringe. Failing that I moved the Purple slider to the edge of the RHS and Purple Hue to 60/100. I’m sure you could do better on the original RAW file.

There could also be a few dust bunnies on the sky.

1 Like

I much prefer your repost, and like how a line on the rock to the right seems to almost continue the horizon.

1 Like

Wow, the repost is so much better. Just looks more natural and I love that the sky and water are more blue toned than in the original. Far more appealing to my eye in every way. Beautiful lines in the cave. I like the man removed as well. Hope that helps.

1 Like

Thanks Glenys. I should play around with that more, especially since I do a lot of astro-landscape photography