Paradise Lost

These roots told me a story that’s been repeated through the ages.

GFX50R, 45-100mm

Rework:

Original:

8 Likes

Very dark, moody and medieval looking and I quite like it. My favorite of your recent work. I would clone out the bright spot on the right vertical root, but no other suggestions.

I have to leave in a few minutes, but I still spent some time looking at this. It is mesmerizing. The rocks entangled in the soil are a terrific counterpoint to the twisted roots. Is this a tree that fell over or a river bank or something? Fantastic. Really outstanding.

It is the roots of a very large fallen spruce tree at the Hoh Rainforest. I would say the entire thing was 15 feet in diameter.

1 Like

The detail and complexity of this image keeps pulling me back again and again. Igor. In some strange way, it reminds of life with all the twists and turns. For me, the lighting adds to the drama I feel.

1 Like

Oh! This looks like a renaissance painting with gorgeous lighting. Shapes and lines have taken on almost human forms adding to the mystery. Maybe the upheaval of Middle Earth?

Well seen and captured.

1 Like

Beautiful work Igor. The reference to Milton is very appropriate, this looks like the Gates of Hell, “Abandon all hope ye who enter here”. It also reminds me of the designs by H.R. Giger for Ridley Scott’s movie “Alien”, it is similar to the organic appearance of the interior of the alien spaceship.

The combination of processing the image to be both warm and dark is unusual, but works perfectly for this subject, and the mood you are trying to create. Warm images are usually very inviting in mood, but warm and dark creates an unexpected and almost disturbing look, which I’m sure is what you were going for here.

Wow, this is breathtaking, Igor! The overall darkness is so appropriate for this image and takes it to a very superior level. I’m sure I would have chosen a brighter take and I would have been 100% wrong in that choice. This is inspirational and I will definitely be spending time looking for such opportunities in the future. I do agree with @Harley_Goldman about cloning the bright spot on the vertical right root, and even with the less bright spot lover on the same root. Your processing is just perfect; I can only assume that took a lot of discipline. Even now, I feel the urge to do some minor brightening. I HAVE to learn to be more disciplined in that area.

Not really a nit as much as just a comment, but I kinda wish the frame was either white or black instead of a subdued neutral color.

I hope you will print this at a larger size, say 30x30 or even 36x36. Properly matted & framed this would be just magnificent!

I had trouble with framing this one. If I use black it’s like not having a frame and the image bleeds into the background without a clear understanding of where the boundaries are. If I make it white than the image looks darker than it is. A dark brown may be a better choice. These frames are just to provide a reference point on NPN so I don’t put a lot of time into it.

As far as putting this on my wall. I don’t know. It might be interesting for a while but do I really want to see this daily? Probably not. But who knows. The shapes and textures of this as a pure photograph might be exciting to explore visually once it’s blown up.

I understand the “seeing it daily” thing, but I was thinking more of putting it and selected pieces of your other on exhibition somewhere in your community. I don’t know if you work is already in a gallery or other venue, but it needs to be. I’m sure a Library, a hospital, or other business would love to exhibit it, and probably any number of galleries, but dealing with galleries can sometimes be a real pain. The public really deserves to see your work!

1 Like

Oh, this is marvelous. It definitely brings to mind Renaissance paintings of Dante’s inferno. The roots are like the drapery of flowing robes.

Igor,

I can only offer more positives about this wonderfully dark and troubling scene. The mood you chose to present is perfect for the subject. Brilliant imagination on this one!

1 Like

Bill I printed it large and it looks pretty good if I do say so myself. The larger the better seems to be how it’s turning out.

During the printing I became aware that the image has a circular pattern which is not obvious but does infuse it with energy. Even though I didn’t consciously design it that way I’m a firm that images come about from subconscious ‘impulses’ that we respond to. I also became aware of some brighter objects around the border that I didn’t think were an issue but they are (bottom right).

1 Like

That’s why I’m a big believer in printing being an integral part of the photographic process.

1 Like

The field work composing and framing this image as well as the post-processing work is just outstanding. I love this image!

Avery very moody, apocalyptic or even disturbing image. The two distorted figures in the LL quadrant could be from a Jeroen Bosch painting. The image suggests death and decay. Even the healthy roots in the right half give the impression of destructive growth. ‘Paradise lost’ is a well chosen title. Great image.

The responses to this image have been really interesting. I’m not surprised because this image was purposely designed to suggest associations without actually being specific of what it actually refers to. This image was never meant to be about roots and everyone pretty much did not take it at face value. Although most viewers did make the connection to something dark and sinister nobody saw the same objects as I did. In these roots I saw limbs and torsos bent in shapes. It took me back to my Christian upbringing in childhood and pictures of what lay in store for us if we didn’t obey God’s commandments. There is quite a bit of art on this matter as man was quite imaginative of what the underworld would look like. Actually the illustrations of Gustave Dore and William Blake came to mind.

Sleep tight. Lol

1 Like

Here’s a rework. I raised the higher tones a bit while leaving the darks along. I also burned in the wood near the bottom. There’s still a twig on the left side (bah!). Change the frame. The NPN background isn’t bad here because it’s not pure black. Probably didn’t need a frame.

Wow, the large version is indeed mesmerizing. My eye just keeps wandering all around it. Well seen and well done, sir.

Incredible. It’s refreshing to find a low key, moody, enchanting image. There are so many nooks and crannies filled with mystery in the field.

Igor, thanks for sharing this. I wish there was a way we could go back to the time when photographers exchanged prints. It was common among the legends. I guess NPN is sort of that sort of sharing, but a monitor is not the same as a print in the hand.

Namaste