Partners

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This photo was taken 8 years ago on a trip to the local zoo in Denver Colorado. These duck were in a bird sanctuary which was climate controlled, had a small pond with running water, foliage and other types of birds and ducks. The environment allowed me not only to follow this couple for a while, but also to be fairly close to observe them. I don’t really like the zoo environment, but it was February and I was looking (desperately) for something fun to photograph.
I have not submitted an image in many months, but when I saw the weekly challenge I immediately thought of this photo. My apologize for my lack of participation of late, but life seems to have other plans for me at this point.
I have not been able to identify the couple either on the Audubon website nor in the Merlin app. Any thoughts about what type of fowl (ducks?) would be appreciated.

The two followed each other for the entire time (over an hour) I was there. They finally settle down in this position, where the male (I’m guessing) wrapped his neck around the female and the rested/slept while I snapped away.

Specific Feedback

What do you feel when looking at this image? Initial reactions?

Technical Details

Not the greatest photo as I had no idea at the time about ss, aperture and ISO settings. The original is a jpg, so not a lot of information to work with in post. Took it in to ACR; removed some miscellaneous feather spots, darkened the green background and minor adjustments to the head.
Nikon D3300, f/5.6, 1/320sec., ISO 3200 @ 300MM.

3 Likes

What a fitting image for the challenge! I’m glad you told us the background; it makes the emotion of the image sweeter. Even though the photo was taken so many years ago, is it possible the zoo still has representatives of this species? They may be able to help with identification.

Thanks, @Denise_Dethlefsen. I’m glad you’re enjoying the photo and appreciate your thoughts. Good idea to check in with the zoo, surely someone in the avian arena would know.

Linda, this is a neat view because it really looks like there’s only one head, to go along with the two necks and bodies. The colors in the feathers and the blue tones in the bill are very nice. Being in a zoo, there’s a decent change that these are not North American native birds, which makes ID more challenging…I haven’t a clue… The white could stand a slight burning-in for a bit more detail. The cuddling “feels” great. Oh yeah…before I retired, I often stated that it was a pain that life kept getting in the way of having fun…

Thank you, Mark for your kind words. What I do love about this image is how the two ducks are wrapped up in each other, creating such a feeling of commitment, contentment and yes the illusion of a single image. I do agree it is a bit confusing at first, but I’d love the lines and colors they have created together. I’ll give the whites on the ducks head another go with gentle burning. Thanks again.

Update. . . just incase anyone is interested. I contacted the Denver Zoo about the identity of these duck and just heard back today. They are White faced whistling ducks. Here is a link with more information:

1 Like

Oh, I don’t know how I missed this one, Linda. Really neat how they wrapped their necks around and took a nap. I love their colors of feathers. Not familiar with the White-faced Whistling Duck. Thanks for sharing the info about them too!

1 Like

Thanks so much, Shirley. Apparently the White faced ducks are mainly found in South America and Africa. Definitely a treat for me!