Past Perfect

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Well, past perfect until early tomorrow, anyway, when there will be shade and no breeze, then back to past imperfect and focus stacking. But I was happy to get this “imperfect” artistic capture. I discovered this little beauty last spring, down by the creek, not native here but escaped from a neighbor’s garden. (No idea how!) I put a protective cage around it and had been watching for it, but it seemingly came up overnight.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 2.01.54 PM

Small tripod as low as it will go, looking up to see the flowers. Minor global tonal tweaks in LR then into PS for a little BG cloning.

4 Likes

This one pushes my buttons, Diane. I’d like to snip off that big green leaf in the lower right, though.

Thanks, @Don_Peters! The leaves on this lily (and cousins) and very pretty but the flowers hang their heads so I can’t get a good angle on both. Maybe I can show the leaves better with soft light and a focus stack, and frame more than one. Maybe…

I think I’d call it ‘Just Perfect’! Very nice! :+1:

Dreamy and wonderful. I love the angles you have with the flowers facing different directions. Lilies can be tough, especially the small ones like these, but I don’t mind the leaf at all. Trout lily carpets my yard every year and they’re very similar and I’m very much looking forward to their appearance (maybe in a few weeks). I wonder if lightening the LLC would help a bit in terms of keeping the lighting more of a piece and emphasizing the shadow of the flower on the leaf? Could be worth a try.

1 Like

Thanks, @Saundie and @Kris_Smith! I was all set to focus stack early this morning but it was windy. Tomorrow should be better and may be my last shot at it.

Still not sure if we’re leaving Wednesday or Thursday, due to enroute weather. But the forecast for the eclipse itself is looking dismal. We need a repeat of the incredible last-minute clearing we had in Guadeloupe in 1998! Solid clouds cleared just in time for totality, in the quadrant of the sky where the sun was. And after totality it clouded over again. The whole trip was that bizarre.

1 Like

Crossing my fingers for you.

I like the artistic look of this image, Diane. The lighting is so ethereal and the two blossoms work very well together. I am a bit ambivalent about the leaf, but I know what you mean. We have @Kris trout lilies on our neighboring preserve back among the trees in a riparian area, so it’s always a challenge to get the light the way you want it.