Hiding In Plain Sight

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Several years ago on the old NPN there was a period where a lot of us got into “cramming”. This involves shooting through foreground foliage and trying to isolate a subject within a wash of blur. I haven’t done any cramming for some time but this opportunity presented itself yesterday while Chrissy and I (mostly her :shushing_face:) started getting the garden ready for the season. This little salvia bud was hiding in a stand of Louisiana Iris and the light and window to shoot it were just right. Had a pretty significant breeze going so I couldn’t stack but I like the effect of the shallow DOF with this single capture. All comments welcome. >=))>

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII
Sony FE 70-200 f2.8 GM-II, 2X TC, 16mm XT (@400mm)
ISO 400, 1/60 @ f8

Well this is pretty masterfully crammed if I do say so myself. Stellar shot. Such crispy detail and delicacy of tone. Simple, yet complex and not easy to duplicate. A winner!

Absolutely lovely, Bill. I have not heard of nor tried “cramming,” but am going to give it a try the next time a get an opportunity. Love the soft feel and the composition you’ve gotten with the diagonal lines in the background. Thanks for the idea.

Worked beautifully, Bill. I don’t think cramming and stacking would get along too well, though you might be able to pull it off with modern in-camera stacking. I’ve always done it hand-held and never considered that possibility. The shallow dof worked just fine in this image.

Bill, that’s a great take on a nascent flower. I agree with Linda about those diagonal lines, which raise it to top-notch. I suppose that on the right occasion one could stack and then overlay the subject with a blurred texture or something - but this is smart and simple.

Beautiful!! The diagonal lines of the FG foliage set off the gentle curve of the bud and its stem. Perfect framing of the subject and environment. Wonderful colors and zooming into the details is so cool!